Thursday, March 27, 2014

Recipe :: Ahi Tuna, Avocado, and Mango Salad


One of my favorite things to eat when I'm at the beach is seafood. I'm not a big meat eater, so whenever I'm near the water I eat as much fresh fish as I can get my hands on. I love ceviche, oysters, swordfish, mussels, salmon...the list goes on and on. But, there is nothing in my mind that compares to a perfectly cooked tuna steak. Add some avocado and mango? Well, you've got yourself a winner!

Ahi Tuna, Avocado, and Mango Salad {recipe adapted from 'Barefoot Contessa at Home'}
Serves 4-5

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds very fresh ahi tuna steaks
Olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grated zest of 2 limes
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes(
1 teaspoon wasabi powder
2 teaspoons soy sauce
10 dashes Tabasco sauce
2 firm, ripe Hass avocados, large-diced
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
2 mangos, cored and large-diced

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat a dry sauté pan and sear the tuna over high teat for 2 minutes on each side, until seared on the outside and still raw on the inside.

For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of olive oil, the lime zest, lime juice, wasabi powder, soy sauce, Tabasco, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Toss the avocado and mango chunks in the dressing and then arrange the avocados, mangos, tuna, and red onion on individual plates.  Drizzle with more dressing and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.  Serve at room temperature.

4 comments:

  1. You're describing me in the first part! (Not the second part with the recipe and all, it's a lovely dish but I am not a salad). Tuna steak is just the best and I have been having some serious avocado cravings lately - this recipe combines some of my favourite ingredients! Yum yum yum, I'm pinning this! xxx
    www.la-lingua.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks deelish. You can fix that for mr anytime! And great photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine DinsmoreMarch 28, 2014 at 7:01 PM

    this looks heavenly! i love tuna too and i rarely eat because, well, you are not suppose to eat much. so when i do i really want it to be fantastic, and this looks like it would be just that. ps i looooove ceviche too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I became vegetarian 3/4 years ago and I struggle with not eating seafood, I love Tuna and Salmon and this looks delicious! Sometimes I cave and have really nice salmon steak. This might just have to be my next treat.
    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete