Saturday, December 21, 2013

Giving Back for the Holidays

I hope you all are having a fantastic weekend!  With all of the sparkle of the holiday season, it is easy to get caught up in the dresses, parties, and gifts.  However, to me it is also a great time to remember how blessed I am and a wonderful opportunity to give back to those less fortunate.  

My boyfriend and I sponsor an eight-year old Haitian girl through his church and are hoping to one day plan a trip down to Haiti to volunteer at her school.  I am passionate about the arts, which is why I volunteer at my local art museum every week, assisting with the youth programs.  Many of you know that I am a huge animal lover {no fur for me, thank you very much!} so in addition to volunteering every week at my local Humane Society and with various rescue organizations {my favorite being Every Dog Counts Rescue}, I always give a donation around the holidays to help these angels fulfill their goal of finding forever homes for every animal in need.  This is especially near and dear to my heart as Every Dog Counts was the rescue who found my beloved Yoda at the pound, nursed him back to health, and brought him to me to foster {and eventually adopt}.  Some years I can donate a few hundred dollars, others just $50...but to me it is so important to give both my time and money to help keep these amazing organizations running.

My point is, there are so many wonderful charities who rely on our time and support to continue their mission.  If everyone gives a little, just imagine how much better we can make the world.  For as Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”

Image via

4 comments:

  1. This is great. I think sometimes people get a little carried away with buying gifts and forget about what donating a bit of our time would do. I would love to find a shelter to donate my time at. Would love to help all those wonderful animals out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Thanks, Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is truly one of the most rewarding experiences of my week. i feel like in the few hours i spend there i really make a difference in the animals wellbeing, making them one step closer to finding their forever family :) happy holidays kayleigh!

    ReplyDelete